Tuesday, January 13, 2009

1200 miles have never sucked so bad...

School has started for me again, and with clinic hours this semester I am gonna be really busy. Emily and Maya are still in Wyoming until Em is recovered enough to come home. Yesterday the headaches had gotten bad, and she was vomiting again, so her mom took her back to the ER. They did yet another lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to check the pressure in her head/spine. Normal pressure is apparently 15 or so mm/hg. Last week the pressure was up to 47, and yesterday it was 52! After the LP her headaches get a lot better. This time her white cell count is finally normal, so her body is actually winning the battle. She was released with more medication (this one to bring down the pressure). She went home and slept most of the day and night (ativan is a good drug). She is feeling a little better today, but exhausted as usual. Maya has been getting better and better at standing in one place, and today actually strung 2 steps together. Unfortunately, nobody had a camera turned on, so I will have to wait to see it. Her favorite words are: mama, dada, kitty, wow, and almost says uh-oh. She is learning patt-a-cake too. Even though this sucks for me, our parents are really enjoying the bonus time with Maya. 1200 miles is way too far away!
-Branch

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They'll be home soon, buddy!

lesann said...

oh dear! i am sure sorry that things aren't 100% better but i am glad there is some hope coming your way!

i have a picture you have to see (maybe you already have seen it) but humor me and tell me you haven't.

whats your email address so i can send it to you!

still in my thoughts and prayers

-leslie

Amanda said...

I can imagine how difficult this is for you all. I know your parents are loving the extra time with their grandbaby...and it's awesome that Emily has her and your family around her. I hope that she recovers soon so she and Himaya can be back with you!

Katie said...

Holy Crap you guys, I heard about this adventure all the way in Utah. I saw Sammy today and she told me all about Emily. How scary, I hope you get better soon Emily and know you're in my prayers!

Katie Goates

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are so far away but I am glad that Em and Maya are being taken care of. Keep your chin up and focus on the studies. Good luck. Helen

Anonymous said...

They will be home before you know it. I am glad that they are well taken care of here and you can focus on your studies without stress of them at home alone. I know it is hard, but you can do it.