Thursday, October 2, 2008

Traditions

All right... My wife has asked that I participate in answering her journal jar questions, and I feel it would to my benefit to oblige. Her question this week is regarding childhood and current family traditions.
Growing up we had a few cool traditions. Every Christmas eve, we would dress up in our new pajamas (we got them every year), we would put on Santa hats and we would take treats to and sing carols to the 24 hour places in our hometown... we felt bad for the people who had to work Christmas eve. In addition to gifts, Santa would hide a pickle somewhere in the Christmas tree and an special treat was left for whomever found it. Since I turned 16 or so, every 4th of July my 2 brothers and I have had a tradition. We would buy steaks and fireworks. We would get extension cords and bring the TV and VCR outside by the porch swing. We would then proceed to grill steaks, watch the movie Independence Day and light fireworks.

Current traditions include decorating stockings every year for each other. We also go to a movie (in a theater) wearing a costume on Halloween. Emily put a few pictures of this on her blog if you want to go check that out.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love you Branch

Unknown said...

Jim's family does the pickle thing too. I guess it's a German tradition. I'd never heard of it until I met him, but when we have Christmas at his house it's a couples competition, and Jim and I actually won last year!!

Branch said...

Yep... German tradition. We have a pickle, but if one of us hides it, it's not much of a competition. Give Himaya a few years though.

Tara said...

we do the pickle, too! German all the way, even though I'm a Swede and Allan's Irish...lol! GraceAnne and Rhiya look for it and every year since GraceAnne's 2nd Christmas at 18 mo old, she's found it and gotten to play santa. I find it hilarious because Rhiya is actually trying, but GraceAnne is just so observant!