Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Catching up


Wow... I can't believe Himaya is already a week old. We came home last Friday around 4:30 pm, and the first thing we did is take a nap (Emily's sister Sarah made us). As all babies do, Maya has lost a bit of weight since the initial weighing, but because she was so small to begin with, the pediatrician has had us back to the hospital twice now for weight checks. They sad yesterday that if she doesn't put some weight back on by next Monday, they will likely put her on a supplement. Other then the weight issue, she is doing really well. I wouldn't say that it has been a breeze but things are going ok. It was really great having Sarah here to help us over the weekend, and now it's great to have Em's mom here until Saturday. There is so much to learn about taking care of a baby, and they have been amazing resources. Last night, Maya slept fairly well... she was up at almost exact 3 hour intervals, and after eating/changing, she went right back to sleep. The night before, however, was another story entirely. Sunday night, she was up about every hour and was always hungry. Then, all 4 times we had to change her she screamed her head off from the time she made the diaper-deposit until she was re-wrapped in a blanket and picked up. Our neighbors must hate us already. It really sounded as though we were slowly torturing, and eventually brutally murdering a cat in our apartment every few hours.
I am amazed at how quickly a person can absolutely capture my love. From the first time I held her while the doctor was still finishing with Emily, I looked down at Himaya, and I knew I would do anything for her. I knew that she had almost complete control of my life, and that she already had me wrapped around her tiny little finger. Every time I hold her, I can hardly take my eyes off of her. I just look down and smile, wondering what she is thinking and dreaming about. I can't believe we get to keep her... it's like a dream that has finally come true.



No comments: