Thursday, November 20, 2008

School and Stuff

Here's whats going on around here. We are really excited for the impending vacation, and can't wait to see all our family/friends. School is winding down now... actually, we only have one more full week of school this semester. Yesterday I had a great day at school when my patient came for the final fitting of the transfemoral (below-knee) prosthesis I have been making for him. Everything in this project just clicked, and I had no problems at all. By the time I was done making all the alignment adjustments, he walked better with the prosthesis I made him than with the one his prosthetist made for him (and he said mine was more comfortable too). He wanted to keep the prosthesis, but since I am not yet a certified prosthetist, this would not be kosher. He let me shoot a little video of him walking. Unfortunately, it was the first video I had taken with my new phone that I intended to put online. I didn't know I needed to hold the phone sideways. So to enjoy this video, just tilt your head to the right as if you were eating a hard shell taco!



Now for Emily's question O' the week "What was your best Thanksgiving like? Where were you? What did you do?". I have been thinking about it for an hour or so now, and I can't come up with one Thanksgiving to talk about. Instead, I am going to tell you about what Thanksgiving was like growing up in my family. My mom's sister and her family (the Muhlestein's) would always celebrate Thanksgiving with our family. We would meet in Utah one year, and they would come to Wyoming the next. We would always get together a few days before Thanksgiving for the pre-holiday tailgate party (for lack of a better descriptor). We would always have a couple of huge puzzels and play games like Rummy, and Trivial Prisuit. Pie making was always on Wednesday, but a few of us older kids would make a huge no-bake cheesecake. The 4 of us would hide from our little brothers and just sit around with forks, eating the cheescake right out of the pan. Thanksgiving was always around 2 pm (ish) and after the naps, the men (and boys) would go shoot clay pidgeons at the shooting range. Leftovers, turkey sandwiches, turkey soup etc. would usually carry us through the weekend, and we would just continue to hang out, play games and what not. Thanksgiving rocks.
Branch

1 comment:

welsh ducks said...

Thanks for helping Allan out today. I really do appreciate it. It would have sucked to get out with the 2 babies and come get him with a stinky old gas can in my car. Can you tell I've done that before?? ;)

I hope that you guys will look back fondly on your Thanksgivings with the Doyles while you were displaced in college. We have sure enjoyed having you!