Thursday, October 30, 2008

What A Week!




What a week... A lot has happened since I last took the time to blog about something other than the contest. Last Thursday and Friday, my classmates and I were forced to sit through a prosthetics and orthotics short course. The course is actually for medical and surgical residents, and it is their only exposure to information regarding P&O. Our teachers have told us repeatedly that doctors usually have no clue what a patient needs when it comes to prosthetics or orthotics. They invariably write a vague or nonsensical prescription, and when the patietn brings to us, we have to call the Dr. to talk about the patient's issues, and usually end up teling the Dr. what to write on a new perscriotion. I have realized why this happens.... when those doctors were residents, they were sent to one of these short courses. When there, they started the first day listening to all the lectures, but took off after the first cofee break. I want you to know that I am not exaggerating this story. The first morning started with roughly 130+ people (residents, and our P&O class). by the end of that day, there were only 55 people (that includes all 13 of us). The second day started with 50-60 people, but by that evening there were only 19 people (and guess how many of them were P&O students). Honestly... I hope I don't even need one of their opinions on one of my patients.
Monday, we had the chance to go to Frisco to see my cousin Shandi and her family. It was a blast. They have such cute kids, and they are all so nice. We had home-made pizza (fantastic) and carved pumpkins. It was a great evening.
The next day we had to take Himaya to the hospital, and we found out that she has an ear infection... though she is much better now. My foot has felt tight, and hurt to dorsiflex since Saturday, but it all came to a head last night. It really started to hurt. When I woke up this morning, it was excruciating. it hurt to lift my leg off of the bed, because I could feel gravity pushing my foot down. I had to go to see a doctor (at student health). I found out that I have gout! My dad has gout, and I can remember seeing him in a lot of pain. I used to think that sometimes, he might be playing it up...milking it for all it is worth. I now completely sympathize with him. I would say it hurt FAR more than ameobic dissnetary in the Philippines (and thats saying something). I have taken some Indocin now, and I feel like it is getting better.
On to the journal-jar question. "Tell about your favorite Halloween? What did you wear? Where did you go?". Emily already told about the halloween we met, so I will talk about another. I think 3 years ago, when we were still living in Rock Springs, we got matching LONG black wigs; Emily got a bright mumu with hybiscus flowers, and I had a blue hawiian shirt. We both wore grass skirts, and I carried a ukelele. Emily stuffed a pillow in her front, and another in her butt area so we looked like a pair of fat hawiians. As according to tradition, we went to see a movie dressed up. It was a blast. We really know how to have a good time.
Thanks to you all for stoping by to read this...and thanks to all who voted for Himaya. The round ends tonight, but we won't find out if she advances until Sunday at about 11pm. Keep your fingers crossed, and be ready to vote for her next week! Thanks, and have a great day.

Branch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey admin, plumb communicative blog register! Pleasee carry on with this affecting work..